During the week that Erin and Chris and their family were in transition preparing to move to WA they spent a few nights at our house. I just found this copy of a school essay in the room Erin and Chris were staying in, which is also the room Steve and Lidia have been staying in while they were here. I'm guessing she found it and left it for him. I got such a kick out of it I just had to share, and thought, oh, I should wait till December and post it at Steve's birthday time, but just can't wait! Erin wrote this for an English class in September 1990, maybe eighth grade? (comments in parentheses are mine)
"My little brother was born on Christmas. He was the best present we got, and sometimes the worst. I can still remember all the crazy things he's done and he's only 5!!
Stevie came home from the hospital in a stocking. he looked so sweet and innocent. Boy, has he changed! He gets this look in his eyes. You can always tell when he's up to something. Stevie is full of trouble and mischief. You never know what he'll do next.
One time he got lost at Disneyland at 10:00 at night!! We were with some friends who had gone with us. My mom was watching my brother and the baby. Stevie wanted a drink of water. He walked halfway across the park before anyone noticed he was gone. Finally after about 45 minutes we found him. When he realized he was lost he was so scared. But that never stopped him from getting lost again!! (For several years, he literally got lost everywhere we went!!)
Stevie has also had many trips to the emergency room. Once he got his foot shut in the car door. The door latched with his foot in it. He had to get stitches. He couldn't walk for about two weeks. (Notice she didn't say that it was her that shut the door with his foot in it??)
But on the other hand, Stevie can also be a big help and a lot of fun. He always tries to help everyone. He also likes to make cookies with me. We put in lots of chocolate chips and decorate them with candy, frosting and spreckles. Usually most of the dough is eaten before the cookies can even be put in the oven.
When Stevie was little we went to the mall with my mom. We always parked on the second floor. Stevie walked right into the mall and stuck his head between the bars of the railing. He couldn't get his head out!! After about ten minutes of pulling and squeezing we finally managed to get his head out. But the next time we went to the mall he did it again!!
Life is never dull with a little brother like mine!!!"
I had such a laugh over those memories!! We miss you Steve, Lidia and Abbey, can't wait till you get home!!!
3 comments:
I found that in a box in my garage when we moved and thought stevie would get a kick out of it! Notice how nice I was by not writing anything bout his "boy" nail polish, his tutu or his poodle skirt!
Yeah, I'm sure he'll appreciate that you didn't share that with the world, (oops!)
oh my gosh! luckily not many people read moms blog!! i dont know if i should be flattered or offended! haha, i totally remember sticking my head in the bars!
Post a Comment